Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mission Accomplished!

I finished the JFK 50-miler last night with an official time of 10 hours, 28 minutes, and 57 seconds. The race was certainly difficult, but my thoughts of Greg, all of your support for Greg, updates throughout the race about my son, and a race buddy that I found along the way got me through it.

As promised, Old Glory's red, white, and blue colors waved in the air for the last 4 miles. I could not have been happier to grab that flag at mile 46.

I would like to send a special thank you to my race support team. It consisted of my mom, dad, and brother, and Greg's sister and girlfriend. Your encouragement was incredible, and hearing "Greg's Legs" as I passed by gave me the boost that I needed at times.

Thanks again to all of you that donated to this fundraiser. You are incredible. We raised $5660 through PayPal donations on this blog, and the school raised nearly $8000. I will publish another post as soon as I get the final tally from the school. I have disabled the PayPal giving widget, but donations can still be made to Greg's Recovery Fund on his website at www.cptgaleazzi.com.



Before check-in. My brother ordered Greg's Legs car magnets for his SUV.
Greg's girlfriend and sister with the Greg's Legs signs.
Getting ready after check-in. It was around 30 degrees at start time.

Mile 1.
The last portion of the Appalachian Trail, just after the switchbacks.
Mile 15. Done with the AT.
Mile 27. Felt good.
The 38-mile point. I hit the wall at about 28, and had not yet gotten my second wind.
After I was handed the flag. 
The flag is ready.
The last four miles begins!
About to cross the finish line.
My race support crew- My folks and brother, and Greg's girlfriend and sister. 
The 50th annual JFK 50-miler finisher's medal.

Add caption



1 comment:

  1. Holy mackeral - what a wonderful achievement for a great cause. Congratulations on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete